Alan Jones fronts defamation trial for second day | radioinfo

Alan Jones fronts defamation trial for second day

Friday 18 May, 2018

He denies being 'careless with the truth.'

2GB breakfast host Alan Jones was back in the witness box today at the Brisbane Supreme Court as his cross-examination continued.

As reported by radioinfo yesterday, Jones ​is being sued (alongwith Harbour Radio, 4BC and writer Nick Cater) by the prominent Queensland Wagner brothers, for $4.8 million over 32 broadcasts between 2014 and 2015.

Referring to comments made by Jones on air about how the Wagners got approval for the Toowoomba airport, barrister Tom Blackburn SC accused the broadcaster of being "careless with the truth".

"No, I'm not careless with the truth ... I leave that to others," Jones said.

When asked who he had in mind, Jones said "It's just a general observation ... you're accusing me of being a liar. I tell the truth. I came here to tell the truth."

Blackburn then asked if he was specifically referring to the Wagners.

"I'm not referring to anyone, Mr Blackburn," he said.

Earlier in the day,  Blackburn attempted to add 35 broadcasts from 2011 to 2015 to the defamation proceedings. Justice Peter Flanagan refused to allow Jones to be cross-examined on those broadcast until he and his legal team had time to go over them.

The application to add the additional 35 broadcasts was withdrawn, but may be relodged at a later date. 

The trial continues. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Log InYou must be logged in to post comments.
radioinfo ABN: 87 004 005 109  P O Box 6430 North Ryde NSW 2113 Australia.  |  All content © 2012. All Rights Reserved.