This week the music world lost one of it’s true originals, Lou Reed.
This Friday 1st of November at 2pm, ABC Extra will pay tribute to the life, work and music of this incredibly influential artist with the launch of a pop up digital radio station. The Lou Reed Archives on ABC Extra will feature both his best loved and lesser known music, along with exclusive interviews and programs from the ABC Radio archives.
Former Triple J announcer Angela Catterns will curate and host the program which will go to air several times over the weekend until midnight Monday 4th of November.
In amongst the great music, listeners will also hear some priceless Lou Reed material sourced from the ABC Radio Archives including:
- A live concert recorded in 1977 at the Regent Theatre in Albury
- Musical collaborations with the likes of the Blind Boys of Alabama and Antony and the Johnsons
- Excerpts from an interview on Double J by the legendary George Wayne in which Lou Reed talks about his life and work
- An hour-long, 1977 program in which Lou Reed played some of his favourite records revealing a surprising range of musical tastes
- The exasperating interview on triple j in 1995 when Lou Reed hung up on reporter Rachel Kerr