February 2019 marks 10 years since the 2009 Victorian Bushfires, one of Australia’s worst natural disasters and on Wednesday 6 February, ABC Radio Melbourne will mark the anniversary with a full day of live broadcasts across the state.
The programs will revisit the stories of the people who survived this extraordinary traumatic event, highlighting the rebuilding and recovery process still taking place within communities today.
The program for Wednesday includes
- Breakfast, 5.30 – 7.45am at Marysville, Rotunda in the park with Jacinta Parsons and Sami Shah
- Mornings, 8.30 – 12 noon: Jon Faine from Strathewen Primary School
- Myf Warhurst program, presented by Meshel Laurie from the Melbourne Museum whose commemorative activation ‘From The Heart’ presents personal stories behind 12 objects from the state bushfire collection, a Tree of Remembrance, and a series of photographs on loan from Department of Environment, Land and Water Protection.
- Afternoons: 2.00 – 4.00pm: Neerim South with Richelle Hunt and Mark Debono who both reported extensively on the fires and their immediate aftermath.
- Drive, 4.00 – 6.30pm from the Ellimatta Youth Centre, Kinglake hosted by Raf Epstein who will revisit the community where ABC Radio Victoria assisted in setting up a temporary community radio station.
- Evenings, 7.00-10.00pm: David Astle will be joined by former Evenings presenter Derek Guille at Dixons Creek.In 2009 Derek broadcast from Dixon Creek as part of a series of programs from fire affected areas.
This special day of programming is part of ABC Radio’s ongoing commitment to emergency broadcasting aimed at educating and informing the community of dangers and risks, and to encourage better preparation for future fires as well as continuing to support fire affected communities and individuals by telling their stories.
Other stations broadcast special events during the emergency and on Friday 10th February 2009, Triple M Melbourne and Fox combined for a special Austereo Bushfire Appeal with Myf Warhurst & Peter Hellier joining Matt Tilley & Jo Stanley to broadcast a combined breakfast show with guests including Hamish & Andy.
Here is the first hour.