Today Spotify has unveiled the top podcasts that helped defined how more than 320 million people around the world listened and discovered audio.
Whether it was to stay informed or simply tune it all out, people kept listening and creators never missed a beat.
- Australians were staying up to date with current affairs this year, with news podcasts From the Newsroom, The Quicky, and Squiz Today coming in as the top three most popular podcasts in 2020.
- In what was a challenging year, Australians looked for a laugh as Comedy took out the most popular podcast genre, followed by Society & Culture and Lifestyle & Health.
- Australians tuned in the most to listen to former POTUS and FLOTUS have an intimate conversation about community, love and relationships and life after the White House on episode one of The Michelle Obama Podcast.
- The Joe Rogan Experience takes the number one slot for most popular podcast of the year globally. Coming in second and third are TED Talks Daily and The Daily, showing that listeners were staying in the know as usual. The fourth most popular podcast is The Michelle Obama Podcast, followed by the comedy/advice show Call Her Daddy.
- And the podcast genres people were most drawn to in 2020? Coming in at number one is Society & Culture, followed by Comedy. Spots three and four were Lifestyle & Health and Arts & Entertainment, respectively. Filling in the fifth spot on the top global genres list is Education.