JOY is seeking its next Chief Executive Officer to continue the work of building the sustainability and diversity of our organisation, whilst focusing on fostering the extensive talent of our team. Responsible for the delivery of our Strategic Plan, you will bring your inclusive leadership style to Australia’s LGBTIQA+ Community media organisation, with the purpose of building a more inclusive Australia.
Reports to: Chair, Board of JOY Media
Direct reports: Management Team
Status: Initial 2-year full-time contract with an option to extend
Remuneration: Total Salary Package of $180K to $230K
Location: Level 1 Victorian Pride Centre 79-81 Fitzroy Street, St Kilda, Vic, 3182
JOY is Australia’s LGBTIQA+ community media organisation, listed on the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profit Commission Register, with the purpose of building a more inclusive society. We do this by providing the opportunity for freedom of expression, the breaking down of isolation and the celebration of the culture, achievements, and pride of the diverse rainbow community.
You can hear and see stories from the LGBTIQA+ community and our allies on JOY 94.9 Radio (FM and DAB+), online via live stream, in JOY Podcasts and on JOY TV 24 hours a day, 7 days per week at joy.org.au
JOY sustains our work through donations, memberships, philanthropic funding and by providing income-generating services to the community including advertising, live broadcasting, podcasting, audiovisual and talent provision.
Based in St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia, the JOY team consists of a small paid staff and a large volunteer cohort who together bring news, music, information, and entertainment to our rainbow community and allies. From our on-air presenters to our support teams, producers, newsreaders, podcasters, and everyone in-between we aim to represent our listeners because we are them.
The values you will bring to your work
Joyous – a celebration of diversity, talent, music and entertainment
Inclusive – a safe and supportive environment for all members of the LGBTIQA+ communities
Courageous – a way to change lives by speaking out, sharing stories and challenging boundaries.
The role overview
The Chief Executive Officer will lead the delivery of JOY’s strategic plan and the operations of the organisation, reporting directly to the Board of Directors, via the Chair. Working with JOY’s leadership team and extensive volunteer team members, the CEO is responsible for the management of day-to-day functions including HR, finance, service provision, and compliance with a focus on effective, inclusive, and empowering leadership, as well as delivering excellent outcomes for JOY and our listeners.
The CEO role is public-facing to our community and sector stakeholders and is the spokesperson for JOY, along with the Chair.
All position holders at JOY are required to perform their duties in accordance with current organisational policy and procedures and relevant ACMA and CBAA requirements; to minimum performance standards and ensure adherence to the JOY Melbourne Inc. rules of association; comply with health and safety guidelines and instructions to ensure a healthy, safe and environmentally responsible workplace; and cooperate and comply with equal opportunity legislation.
Your key responsibilities
- Develop JOY’s next Strategic Plan in partnership with the Board of Directors, to establish a clear vision and blueprint for the organisation for the coming four years.
- Lead implementation and delivery of JOY’s Strategic Plan, bringing our goals to life.
- Lead development and delivery of annual activity plans and resulting budgets.
- Report to the Board of Directors, ensuring transparency and accuracy of information provided to ensure their strategic overview of JOY’s operations.
- Lead JOY’s team, fostering an inclusive, safe, collaborative, and enriching workplace environment.
- Represent JOY in appropriate forums to build awareness of and grow the organisation’s reach and capacity.
- Source and build relationships with relevant organisations to generate the income and assets required to foster JOY’s sustainability.
- Oversee quality and compliance across the organisation ensuring JOY delivers a quality, professional service to the community and clients, within compliance, including broadcast, guidelines, and requirements.
Our key selection criteria
Required skills, knowledge, and experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in small to medium not-for-profit organisation management skills, knowledge, and experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in Community Media or a similar sector, including a strong understanding of community broadcasting regulatory requirements (desirable)
- Living within the LGBTIQA+ community, or as an ally, continuously integrating the knowledge of their needs, issues, and challenges into your practice, with the empathy and skills to drive success.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead, empower, and inspire LGBTIQA+ people, bringing a high level of emotional intelligence to our JOYster community.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire, encourage, foster, and evaluate creative ideas and possibilities with a focus on continuous improvement and respect.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, budget, deliver, monitor, and evaluate strategies/projects.
- Demonstrated ability to engage internal and external stakeholders to create success.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
Academic qualifications / technical skills
- Relevant tertiary qualification or higher in organizational management.
Please note successful applicants will need to undertake or hold current police and/or working with children’s checks.
- Develop the next strategic plan in partnership with the JOY Board and team.
- Conduct an organisation culture audit and create an implementation plan to build engagement and collaboration.
- Conduct a services delivery and content audit and develop a two-year plan.
To apply for this role, please forward your CV and cover letter, addressing the Key Selection Criteria in detail to [email protected] – Applications will be taken on a rolling basis.