Journalist – News Radio
- Saunders Street, Pyrmont NSW 2009
- Work Arrangement: Permanent
Life at Nine.
Nine’s strategy is to create great content, distribute it broadly and engage audiences and advertisers.
We are Australia’s largest locally owned media company – the home of Australia’s most trusted and loved brands spanning News, Sport, Lifestyle, and Entertainment.
We pride ourselves on creating the best content, accessed by consumers when and how they want. Nine’s assets include the 9Network, major mastheads such as The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian Financial Review; radio stations 2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR; digital properties such as nine.com.au, 9Now, 9Honey, Pedestrian.TV, Drive; subscription video platform Stan and a majority investment in Domain Group.
Your new opportunity at Nine.
We are looking for experienced radio journalists to join our Nine Radio Sydney newsroom team.
You will prepare, edit and present live news and sport bulletins on Sydney’s premier news and talk radio station and our national network of stations.
As a journalist, you will generate stories, research, edit and present information in a balanced, accurate and interesting way.
Day to day, you will report to the News Director and your daily responsibilities will include:
- Editing and presenting informative, accurate and interesting news and sport bulletins.
- Presenting live, timed-out bulletins as well as recorded bulletins.
- Meeting hourly and half-hourly deadlines.
- Making editorial decisions on news and sports coverage.
- Understanding and complying with media law and industry codes of conduct and regulations.
- Researching, writing, editing and presenting radio news stories, both live and pre-recorded.
- Generating ideas for stories, and following leads from contacts, news agencies, politicians, the public, media conferences and other sources.
- Conducting interviews with a variety of newsmakers.
- Exercising editorial judgement on the best angle from which to approach a story.
- Taking direction from the Sydney News Director as well as shift editors.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you.
To succeed in this role, you will have the below:
- Proven experience editing and presenting radio news bulletins.
- Experience in journalism and expertise in news-gathering, writing and presenting for radio.
- Ability to meet hourly and half-hourly deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to deal effectively with simultaneous tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a live broadcasting environment.
- Broad knowledge of local, national and international issues, newsmakers and organisations.
- Knowledge of domestic and international sport.
- High-level communication and interpersonal skills.
- On-line research, word processing, audio editing and social media skills.
- Ability to work in a team and independently, and to take feedback and direction.
- Adherence to high ethical standards.
- Valid Driver’s Licence.
As part of your application, please upload any sound bites you have of your radio experience.
What you’ll get in return at Nine.
- Career development and quality training
- Up to 16 weeks paid primary carer’s parental leave
- Discounts on lifestyle, entertainment, and leisure memberships, including health insurance, dental and gym
- Access to Future Women – a movement to help women connect, learn and lead through unique content and events.
- Hybrid Working/Flexible working
- Discounts on products and services with corporate partners including Samsung, Apple, JB HI-FI, HP, Hertz Car Hire and TFE Hotels
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion,
At Nine, we are committed to fostering a workforce that embraces all aspects of diversity and inclusion and where practices are equitable to ensure our people experience a sense of belonging. From day one, you’ll be encouraged to bring your whole self to work and will be supported to perform at your best. Should you require any adjustments to the recruitment process to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, and of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds and cultures.
Disclaimer: We do not accept unsolicited agency résumés and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited résumés