Selling Radio with Pat Bryson
Today’s successful Account Executives believe themselves to be marketing consultants, not just spot sales people.
They seek to understand their clients’ needs and to create solutions to these problems. They advise their clients on many phases of their marketing, not just radio, TV and newspaper.
These sales people share certain traits in common. Let’s take a look at the attributes of the Best of the Best:
1. They are Risk Takers. The super-sellers innovate and stay out of their comfort zones by trying to surpass their previous levels of performance.
2. They have a powerful sense of mission. They set short, intermediate and long-term goals which are higher than the quotas set by their managers.
3. They are problem solvers. They solve their client’s problems and they recommend their station or paper only after they have identified a client’s need and included them in developing a solution.
4. They form partnerships. They view the customer as a partner rather than as an adversary.
5. They can deal with rejection. They see rejection as information they can learn from. Mediocre sellers personalize rejection.
6. They mentally rehearse each call. They visually preview each stage of the call from the handshake to the questioning process to the close.
7. They exchange information. Rather than present products, they exchange information with their clients.
8. They are a resource. Top billers act as a resource to their clients, providing them ideas and experience. They are perceived by the customer as an advocate of their needs.
9. They are enthusiastic. Top billers believe in their product. Selling is the transference of enthusiasm from the salesperson to the customer.
10. They are reliable. A top biller does what he says he will do, when he says he will do it.
11. They are members of the Extra-Mile Club. Top billers do more than their customers expect. Remember, a little extra gives big rewards!
Read more Selling Radio with Pat Bryson
About The Author
Pat Bryson is the founder of Bryson Broadcasting International, a consulting firm that works with radio stations around the world to increase revenue by raising the skill level of their sales staffs. Her client list spans from the United States to Canada, Europe and Central Asia.
Pat has spent her entire career creating a culture of over-achievement for her stations. She began her career in radio sales, becoming one of the highest billing sales people in her market. Her career advanced to General Sales Manager, and then to Market Manager. Since starting BBI 7 years ago, she has helped hundreds of radio stations to find, train and grow great quality sales people and managers.
Pat was the recipient of two prestigious educational fellowships from the Educational Foundation of the National Association of Broadcasters: a fellowship to the Executive Development Program and a fellowship to the Broadcast Leadership Training Program.
She publishes the Bryson Broadcasting International Newsletter twice monthly and is a contributor to Valerie Geller’s latest book, Beyond Powerful Radio: A Communicator’s Guide To The Internet Age.