2CO began broadcasting at 7.45 pm, December 16, 1931, witnessed by a Victorian community gathered in their finest formal wear.
The opening ceremony, hosted by the Literary Institute was at the Corowa Literary Institute Hall with loudspeakers erected for the event so those not invited to attend the glittering night could listen at the nearby Austral grounds.
The station began as a relay station for broadcasts from Melbourne and Sydney and after six months officially became a part of the ABC as 2CO, later becoming ABC Goulburn Murray.
The Corowa transmitter was the most powerful in the Southern Hemisphere at that time, more than twice as powerful as any other transmitter in Australia.
Along with the transmitter in Corowa, there was a small broadcasting studio in the Albury post office where the first part-time employee, Arthur Newnham, would compile and broadcast important local information, mainly pulled from the resident newspapers.
Early records indicate he was paid two guineas a week.