The ABC’s deferred Geelong Radio in Residency initiative will launch in March bringing a month-long focus on Victoria’s largest regional city.
The residency was planned for last October but due to COVID-19 was pushed back to this year.
ABC Radio Melbourne presenters including Virginia Trioli, Sammy J, Jacinta Parsons, Raf Epstein, Matt Preston and Lisa Leong will broadcast from the pop-up studio in the heart of the city at Deakin University’s Waterfront campus, bolstering regional coverage from the existing ABC News Geelong bureau.
ABC Radio Melbourne Local Manager Dina Rosendorff says the Geelong Radio-in-Residency was part of a long-term commitment to tell stories from the city and surrounding region, “The relationships we’ll build in the Geelong region will further strengthen our connection with the local community. We’re looking forward to hearing from the region’s residents about the issues and topics that matter most to them. It’s a great way to kick off our celebrations for the ABC’s 90th anniversary.”
City of Greater Geelong Deputy Mayor Trent Sullivan says this was a valuable opportunity to share more diverse stories from the region, “As one of Australia’s fastest growing regional cities, it’s great that Greater Geelong’s local stories and topics will be getting more coverage.
“This is a valuable opportunity to share a wide range of stories and journeys from our community, who are the best part of our fantastic region.”
Deakin’s Executive Dean, Faculty of Arts and Education, Professor Vanessa Lemm says the initiative would also provide opportunities for students to work closely with journalists, production teams, researchers and industry.
Professor Lemm says, “It is so important for students to get workplace experience during their studies. This is a high priority in our course design at Deakin because students need to apply the skills they learn in a real-life setting. These kinds of experiences are just so valuable for their development and preparing them for their future careers.”
ABC’s Geelong Radio in Residency program schedule:
- Tuesday 1 March: Mornings withVirginia Trioli, 8.30 – 11am
- Friday 4 March: Breakfast with Sammy J – 30am-8am
- Monday 7 March: The Conversation Hour, 11am – 12noon
- Saturday 12 March: Matt Preston – Saturday Mornings, 10am-12 noon
- Sunday 13 March: Sundays with Lisa Leong – 10am – 12noon
- Tuesday 15 – Wednesday 16 March: Drive with Raf Epstein – 3.30pm – 6.30pm
- Thursday 24 March: Afternoons with Jacinta Parsons – 30pm – 3.30pm
- Friday 25 March: The Friday Revue – 30pm – 3.30pm
- Thursday 31 March: The Conversation Hour – 11am – 12noon