Media RESULTS Inc. CEO, Dave Charles, asks artificial intelligence program ChatGPT a question each fortnight, picking its cyber brain to see what kind of curiosity is spurted out from the seemingly limitless, and constantly growing, pool of knowledge. Dave’s question this week explores whether or not radio is a good path or not in 2023.
Question: In 2023 should I consider Radio Broadcasting as a good career choice?
“Radio broadcasting has been a significant medium for many years, providing news, entertainment, and music to a wide audience. However, the rise of digital platforms and streaming services has had an impact on the radio industry. Traditional radio stations have faced competition from online radio stations, podcasts, and personalized music streaming platforms.”
“While the industry has undergone changes, radio broadcasting can still offer opportunities for individuals with a passion for audio production, journalism, or hosting. Here are a few factors to consider when evaluating radio broadcasting as a career choice in 2023:
- Evolving Industry: Radio stations have been adapting to the digital landscape by expanding their online presence through live streaming and podcasting. This shift allows broadcasters to reach a broader audience and engage with listeners beyond traditional radio frequencies.
- Skills and Expertise: To succeed in radio broadcasting, it’s crucial to develop strong communication, presentation, and storytelling skills. Familiarity with audio editing software, production techniques, and an understanding of the latest trends in the industry can also be beneficial.
- Job Prospects: The job market in radio broadcasting may vary depending on your location and the size of the market. Major cities often offer more opportunities, while smaller towns may have limited options. Entry-level positions such as production assistants or radio hosts might be a starting point to gain experience and work your way up.
- Diversification: As technology continues to shape the industry, broadcasters who can adapt and diversify their skills may have an advantage. For example, gaining experience in podcasting, voice-over work, or content creation for online platforms can broaden your career prospects within the audio industry.
- Networking and Internships: Building connections within the industry through networking events, internships, or volunteering can be invaluable. This allows you to gain hands-on experience, learn from professionals, and potentially open doors to future job opportunities.
“Ultimately, whether radio broadcasting is a good career choice in 2023 depends on your passion for the medium, the opportunities available in your area, and your willingness to adapt to the changing landscape. Researching the current state of the industry, speaking with professionals already working in radio, and considering your personal strengths and interests will help you make an informed decision.”